Over a Century old a tiny Sweetmeat Shop existed on a land owned by Raja Kamala Prasad Mukherjee. Our forefather Late Ganguram Chaurasia came from a remote village in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh to Kolkata in the 1880's. He was a skilled Halwai and could make mouth watering Sweets. He took up a job in the shop owned by the Mr. Raja and used to supply Sweets to the Rajbari. However, when the Government decided to evict the shop in order to construct a road, the Raja, pleased with his service, allotted him a small plot of land near Maniktola north Kolkata, where our forefather set up a small sweetmeat shop in 1885.
Today 'GANGURAM' Group is synonymous with traditional as well as modern sweets of Bengal.